The State of New Mexico has created two Overweight Cargo Zones around the Santa Teresa and Columbus Ports of Entry.
- Allows carriers to carry up to 96,000 lbs of a reducible load within a 12-mile radius of the Santa Teresa and Columbus Ports of Entry.
- In Santa Teresa the overweight zone extends from the port of entry to the Union Pacific Railyard and the Santa Teresa International Airport.
- In Columbus the overweight zone extends from the port of entry to Highway 9, as well as areas just north of Columbus.
- The permit is unit specific and a copy must be carried in the transport vehicle for inspection at the port for verification.
- The permit is granted on an annual basis and costs $250.
- Permits can only be issued through the Motor Transportation Division permit office in Santa Fe.
To request a permit contact Matt Serna at (505) 476-2472